Tuesday, February 3, 2015

How to Love like God loves us!

All throughout the world, you will find people. People who show their love outwardly for all to see. People who don't make a point of showing theirs off, and yet it is so clearly evident in their everyday lives, whether to their spouse, their parents, their children, etc.


10 Ways to Love

1. LISTEN without interrupting. (Proverbs 18)

I sit at home, with a zillion "great" stories running through my mind. I have limited amount of people to entertain with these in my life.  Often when I try to tell stories, or talk about my day with these few people, I am hardly lent one ear, let alone full attention.  I find this so incredibly hurtful, that I make a daily point to ensure that my eyes are on the person talking to me, and sometimes, with my horrible memory, I even make a point of repeating what I think is important throughout the conversation back to myself in my head. 

I want to live, loving others. I want them to know and feel that love, and I believe it can just start to begin with listening, whether it's "real-talk time," or simply just visiting and fellowshipping together. Sometimes we get distracted with our own lives, and things going through our own heads, but when surrounded by people we need to love (so, any and everyone), we should start with some attention. 

2. SPEAK without accusing. (James 1:19)

I find myself guilty of this often, though I try so hard to make it happen less often. When someone has hurt me, whether intentionally or not, it brings out the worst in me. Even when I don't show it outwardly, or through unkind words out of my mouth, I think the thoughts, and that is just the beginning of a bad habit. SO I make a point of trying to clear my mind of negative thoughts, and if it is impossible, I make a point of just going to this person that I have let cause these thoughts and feelings, and talk it out! 

3. GIVE without sparing. (Proverbs 21:26)

I have this sister, she is not loaded, but she is always making a huge point of blessing others with things she makes room in her heart to give to others. She works hard for her money, and the smiles she receives for such blessing, I can only imagine is the biggest blessing of all to herself. We were taught as young children to tithe 10% to God of everything we earn, if only I could say I have honestly done that my entire life. But even more than giving to the church, to God, I think in my life, I will make a point of making sure the loved ones around me have the things they need, and that strangers are clothed and fed, and those less fortunate or unemployed are having their needs met. 

4. PRAY without ceasing. (Colossians 1:9)

I start my day with prayer, I pray for my family and friends, my day. I pray that God will help me bless Him with all my might each day. I leave for work a half hour early, and drive around Ulysses and pray for friends, my pastor, my church, my job, my patients. I make a point of starting my day out with as much prayer as possible, so that I can be in the habit of always thinking about God and knowing that He is always willing and ready to listen. God wants us to speak to Him daily, He wants to know us, He wants us to know Him. He made us, so how could He not want to hear us out. Pray as often as you can, and sooner than you know it, you will be praying all the time. And it is so refreshing. Indulge!

5. ANSWER without arguing. (Proverbs 17:1)

There is not a person in this life that I have not at some point disagreed with. There are things worth debating over, and things not worth it. Instead of always taking the defensive side, we need to hear them out, listen intently, decide where we stand on the topic of conversation, and have an adult conversation about it. This is always easier said than done, until you make it a habit! Habits can be damaging to relationships, and can also be amazing and help the relationship grow! 

6. SHARE without pretending. (Ephesians 4:15)

This goes for emotions, LOVE, time, things that really matter. This can also pertain to tangible things, but when it comes to loving others. God wants us to be honest, and forthright with ourselves. He gave Himself completely to us, and gave us His only son! Can you imagine, how huge His heart has to be? Like unimaginably ginormous! We can only wish to attain a trillionth of the size, by sharing ourselves with others without facades. If you can't be real with them, then your relationship will be meaningless and empty. 

7. ENJOY without complaint. (Philippians 2:14)

No one has a great day everyday! There is always something that happens that can turn a great day around in a snap. There can also be little things that happen that make a rough day amazing in an instant.  There was a time in my life when I wasn't even half as positive as I find myself these days. Having just graduated in May, school was sometimes a stressor in my life, so I lost a stressor. But I can even remember back to high school, usually I was happy, but not all the time. I was s typical high school student, I did not tend to make the drama, but I let myself hear it and want to hear it and be in the “know.” Now, I have made a habit of not being curious when it does not pertain to me, or is not kind, I tend to make a habit of being positive now! “Bad” things happen to everyone, but how we react to it, how we deal with it, that will affect our attitude about it! I just tend to know that God has a plan and a reason. I know those are not always obvious, especially when we just had our world rocked with bad news, or just got dumped, or are in the process of losing a great friend or mentor. Right off the bat, it is just human nature to go to a negative place in our minds, to see only the worst of our situations. But I make a point, the instant that my brain goes to negative-land, to pray, then seek out the positives! To know that God wants me to do this, so let us make the best of it and see where He leads it!  See the little blessings that He puts in your everyday, make a point of thanking Him for them, and I guarantee you will be happier! Don’t let Satan get a hold of you and your mind. You are an overcomer, connected to the Almighty God, He is able to turn around any situation in a heartbeat, let Him be in control, give it to Him, over and over again, until there is nothing left to give!

8. TRUST without wavering. (Corinthians 13:7)

God put Adam and Eve here on this Earth, as perfect humans, no shame, no regret, no worries, plenty of food. And then they disobeyed God, and now there are such things. Shame, dishonesty, disobedience, hate, etc. We all have suffered from one or all of the previous things before, we all also have been the ones to be shameful and lie, disobey our elders, and at some point hate someone. In order to love, we must trust. We must trust that the person on the other side of the relationship is working to benefit the relationship as well. We must trust each other, trust in what we say and what we say we will do. In order to trust others, we must also be true to our word and trustworthy, because when we are constantly being unworthy of others' trust, we will always doubt them, believing they also are unworthy, doubting their word, doubting their promises. But God wants us to put all trust in Him, to believe that He is in control and He will do all that He can to help us love others, and help our relationships grow. 

9. FORGIVE without punishment. (Colossians 3:13)

God sent His son, to die for us, for our sins. That is the biggest sacrifice anyone in this life has and will ever make. He watched His very own son die, bleed out on a cross, for us, for people that are constantly disobeying Him, and breaking His commandments. I do no have children, but I could never in a million years have the courage to do that for people that I knew would just be constantly ignoring my rules that I put forth before them. People will constantly be doing things, whether intentionally or on accident that are not pleasing to us, that may hurt us, physically, emotionally, mentally, etc. We must learn to forgive. When our partners or friends do something that we think is the end of the world, we need to step back, see it from their perspective, give them another chance, let them know how we feel, and that we forgive them. Don't keep it in, but again don't let little things affect you enough that they distract you from things that really need attention and really matter. Seek to always please God and to be the better person in the relationship. Help each other grow in Christ, pray with the other, anything that will help heal the wounds and get past the speed bump Satan threw in the road for you. 

10. PROMISE without forgetting. (Proverbs 13:12)

In order to love, and love successfully, we must always be true to our word, to our promises.  We must follow through, with even the little things. If we promise to love each other everyday, we must do so. When you truly try and love other people, it may be a struggle sometimes, a daily struggle. Fight the fight, it will always be worth it. The love you will receive in return, will be overwhelmingly greater and bountiful than the road blocks you went through to get there.  The Lord wants for our relationships to be successful and a blessing to both sides of the relationship! Anything worth your time is worth the fight to earn and retain! In order for love to be there, love must be given! Love one another, love your neighbor as yourself, love your enemies. Pray pray pray for everyone who ever comes to mind! Pray on the spot! They may need it just when God throws them on your mind! 

(NOTE TO SELF:  Pay close attention to #1, #2, #5 and #9.)


No comments:

Post a Comment