Friday, January 8, 2016

Overwhelmed?


It is not on every page in the scriptures that you will find the verse to inspire you, the passage to calm your worrying heart, the chapter that you feel God has just led you to right now in this moment in your life. But here is one that I have found to always brings me encouragement in this crazy story I call life these days. One that I flip back to, that reminds me who I am, who God is and what He is capable of, even in my most chaotic of days.

'From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I." Psalm 61:2 (NIV)

Understanding this verse does not require deciphering for interpretation, but I draw two things from this text when reading it:

1} I will never be too far for God to hear my cries for help.
No matter where I am physically: at work, at home, or at play. No matter where I am emotionally: drained, joyous, depressed, blessed, or weary. No matter where I am spiritually (only God and myself know where I am spiritually at this time). He always hears my cry for help. No matter what, His ears are always open.

2} When I feel like I am at the edge of my limits, God is my strength and refuge. With one arm He can lift me up to reside in Him.
Sometimes life is hard to handle, the valleys seeming to occur more frequent than the highs. In those times I find it easy to forget that I am not alone in this walk, that I have a God who is a safe harbor. When life gets tough, sometimes we convince ourselves that God is not for us anymore. We convince ourselves that maybe He has taken a time-out, maybe my life is just too much for Him to handle. But rest easy, you are the son or daughter of the One who parted the Red Sea. He is able to handle anything you may experience in your life, and no matter what, when you think it is beyond your own handling, He will be there to pick up the slack.  

David's (the Psalmist's) soul was overwhelmed. He felt obligated to be obedient to God and also felt all the temptations that came from being in the midst of severe trials and troubles. And yet, God put those words upon his heart, 'when my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to the Rock that is higher than I.' When we find ourselves at that point, that is when the temptations are the strongest. We find that not only are we troubled by our present circumstances, but also by what Satan tries to tell us about the future. In this constantly changing and troubling world, we need to seek the strength of our unchanging God. Trouble can be beneficial when it causes us to desire the help and presence of God. What a blessing to know that there is a place of shelter available to us when we cry out to our God, He is a strong tower that our enemies cannot climb or penetrate. No matter what. :)

What do you do when you feel overwhelmed? Are there any Bible verses that encourage you, especially in those times?

No comments:

Post a Comment